Last week I was lucky enough to travel to Germany for a gig in the Beautiful state of Brandenburg. The gig was in Himmelpfort at Stolpsee Boothaus (Boat House) & I performed on a stage facing the Marina, lake where the locals & residents had gathered. Some even made the 45 minute journey from Leegebruch (where I played last year!). The weather last week was uncharacteristic for the area & there had been severe rain & storms all week – Leegebruch was under 3ft of water with many homes & businesses flooded 😦 The rain in Himmelpfort had just about stopped when I took to stage at 7pm where I played a 3 hour gig.
I awoke the next day to find my visit had made the front page of German newspaper Markische Zeitung – here’s the online article http://www.moz.de/artikel-ansicht/dg/0/1/1592477
I must give a huge thanks to Frank, Simone, Thomas & Ronald for making the gig happen. Danke 🙂
On the 50th anniversary of ‘Sgt peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band’ being released, I was lucky enough to be playing on the River Mersey with my Beatles Tribute “Paperback Writers” to a sellout of 250+ Beatles fans aboard the Mersey Ferry.
We set off from Seacombe Ferry at 7.50pm with half the people aboard & headed to Liverpool’s Pier Head to pick up the rest of the entourage. By 8.10pm we were all singing our hearts out to the opening line of the album, albeit with a slight tweak for the special gig “It was 50 years ago today, Sgt Pepper taught the band to play…”
The vessel for the evening was the ‘Razzle Dazzle’ ferry which strangely enough was designed by Sir Peter Blake, the artist responsible for the iconic “Sgt Peppers” artwork. Dressed in Sgt Peppers uniforms, we played, we sang & we swayed on the River Mersey until we came back into view of the incredible Liverpool skyline at 10pm, illuminated under a dusky sky.
An incredible night, we can’t wait to do it all again although we’re not sure we can wait until the 60th anniversary!
The opening line of the song states 20 years, but it’s now an incredible 50 years since Sgt Pepper Lonely Hearts Club Band was released in the summer of 1967. The exact anniversary date is 1st June 2017 & I’ll be playing at various events around Liverpool with Paperback Writers to celebrate arguably the most influential popular music album ever released.
* Sunday 28th May – Breakfast with The Beatles
An all day event at Hilton Liverpool City Centre we are on from 7pm with a live link up to a station in Los Angeles, USA @breakfastwiththebeatlesla
* Thursday 1st June – Sgt Peppers Cruise on the River Mersey!
Tickets £20 from Mersey Ferries
* Sunday 18th June – Paul McCartney birthday celebrations at Cavern Walks. This is a free event, we will be onstage from midday!
1 month today on 25th May, I’ll be doing another LFC legends night – this time Ray Clemence, Joey Jones, Phil Neal & Terry McDermott will be reliving their memories from exactly 40 years ago. 25th May 1977 was the date Liverpool FC lifted the European Cup for the first time in Rome & 4 members of that team will be at the Hilton Hotel, Liverpool for what’s set to be a special night.
For tickets please get in touch via the CONTACT PAGE. VIP MEET & GREET tickets are £50 with food, or £40 without.
Here’s a clip from a show in the Hilton last year! #YNWA
Brazilian & Liverpool midfield “Magician” Philippe Coutinho was in the Cavern Club last night, watching my gig. After I posted a photo on Facebook, a reporter from the Liverpool Echo got in touch.
Read the full article here!
This week I’ve received the fantastic news that I’m going to be featured in a new Australian promotional campaign for Liverpool as a destination. The promo is being put together by Junkee Media for Oz travel giants Qantas & Uk tourism Visit Britain – it will feature clips from my ‘What’s it like in Liverpool?’ music video as well as some live footage they shot from a gig in the Cavern Club.
The video will feature as an online campaign, but also be played at the carousels (where you pick up your luggage) at all Qantas airports across Australia.
So far ‘What’s it like in Liverpool?’ has had 500,000 views across the globe, with the figure still rising – still hard to believe me buying a ukelele while gigging in China would lead to this!?
First news update of 2017, it seems to have literally flown by & I can’t believe we’re into March already! Plenty has been happening – here’s a quick update…
- This year I’ll be heading abroad again for a few dates. In August I’ll be heading to play at a wedding in Italy. Another date due to be confirmed is in Ibiza!
- A track I’ve recorded in the studio with production masters ‘Rudedog’ is due to be released. We recorded “How to save a life” (originally by The Fray) was uploaded to Soundcloud & has clocked near 100,000 plays in less than 3 weeks! It’s also got the #1 spot as the hotted rated new track on “Kings of Spins”.
- I’ve been confirmed on 2 “Rock the Boat” cruises… the first is this September heading around the British Isles with “Slade” & “Suzi Quattro” & then one next year heading to Portugal.
- At some point this year I’ll be putting out some new music from my unreleased album. The first track is likely to be “Siren’s Call” … the video is finished, I’m just waiting for a break in schedule to find some time to put it out!
- The LFC EURO LEGENDS SHOW with Nick Tanner is going from strength to strength. We have 5 dates already confirmed this year, with a plan of taking the show abroad. Watch this space & check out the video from the last Liverpool show…
- My Beatles tribute PAPERBACK WRITERS continue residency once a month at the world famous Cavern Club, Mathew Street Liverpool. Check out the gigs section for updated listings.
The website is currently going through some changes with the format & layout, which will be trialled for a few weeks to see how it works – including this news feed which will be updated regularly. If anything isn’t working properly please let us know via the contact page.